Saturday, October 29, 2011

Entry 10: Electronic Identities

What's the statistic of relationships starting online again? One in five?
I think that's what e-harmony's commercial said. It's really cool to think
50, or even 20, years ago electronic identities were not even a part of
identities. 

In the presentation Ashley did, I thought it was really interesting
how certain people seemed to try to define their likes based on what
they thought their likes should be for their gender or race. The
NASCAR example really got me; there's no way
white women are really that concerned/interested with racing
cars. Unless they are the wives in Talladega Nights. 
"You sick, sons of bitches. I mean you walk in that door, on your two legs... all fat and cocky
 and lookin at me in my chair. And you tell me its all in my head? I hope that both
 of you have sons... Handsome, beautiful, articulate sons, who are talented
 and star athletes and they have their legs taken away. I mean
 I pray you know that pain and that hurt."

After thinking about what we discussed in class, I thought about
my own experience with online identities. I know when I change my
Facebook picture, it is half-based on perception management and 
how I want others to see me. If I look back, I can tell right when I got my Facebook
I would just do very generic pictures. Then, junior year I have a 
line of pictures of me doing something I deemed funny at 
the time, such as me dressed as a nerd. Senior year I really try to include all my best 
friends in my pictures. From then on, I kind of use pictures fitting for the
time of year (ex. Christmas time= tree lighting picture or if a 
friend is coming to visit= a picture of me and them).
Even writing on someone's wall I have to consider how other
people will perceive me. Also, I form my own
identity by never capitalizing proper nouns, beginning of sentences,
etc. It's funny to go back and read my wall-to-wall's
and see how my electronic self has emerged.

Remember xanga? I never had a myspace, but I loved this. 

I'll be curious to see what new identities develop with the 
changes in technology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment