Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Entry 11: Halloween and Urban Legends




HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Me and my roommate dressed up as Rafiki from The Lion King

The Best and Horiuchi reading about urban legends was so
interesting to me! And relevant...in my english class, my teacher brought it up
too; however, he kind of confirmed what the piece was saying about
people not really knowing the history of any razor blades in apples. 

Anyway, there was always this old man in my neighborhood who gave
out apples and I remember one year, even though he's being doing it
since I was four, my dad warning my not to eat it, or 
at least let him inspect it before I did. For the record, I witnessed
my friend Courtney eat that apple almost every year, so that
old dude was just healthy I guess. My dad is a child of the
sixties, so it would make sense why he warned me, because
he was around ten when all the fear associated with the 
"Halloween Sadist" stuff began. 

The figures are what really intrigued me in this story;
I would almost expect more sadistic happenings, especially with the
hype Halloween gets for being such a dangerous time. Also, the 
fact that the two deaths were family related was surprising/ kind of sick.
The media's role in the hype is disappointing, but something I've covered
in my journalism classes...the news often repeats stories
and lacks complexity by only taking the same side to a story every time.
If the news reported a story with the actual facts, and included them in
the headlines or the lead, I think some misconceptions could be 
cleared up for the news-consuming public.

No comments:

Post a Comment