Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Entry 7: Mass/collective behavior

Lifton's piece "Nazi Doctors at Auschwitz" was really
interesting, particularly when discussing "doubling". I think
it's a really hard concept to try to imagine oneself in; I sit here and assure
myself I would never submit to such an act under any amount of 
pressure...but, for lack of a better saying, easier said than done.
Not only was there an immense amount of pressure put on doctors,
indirect as well as direct, but there were years of culminating 
beliefs and ideologies prior to the treatment. So, as much as I convince
myself I'd behave differently, I cannot be sure I would.

The concept of doubling and having two distinct personalities
is very explainable to me. I feel like that is a natural response, and
it is applicable in some lesser-scale instances of everyday life. Most 
people would classify very different personalities at their home life and work life,
particularly individuals with professions like police officers. Or mob members.
I always think it's funny how mobsters are portrayed in movies as
some of the meanest people, but the most loving, family-oriented
people, too. 
Even after beating and murdering, the mobsters still interact with family in
"regular" ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment