Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Entry 8: Salvation on Sand Mountain

My own religious experiences are nowhere near as exciting as 
Salvation on Sand Mountain. Until I was 12, I only went to church one time, 
besides visiting churches with friends or other family,
at my dad's childhood church. In fact, I was more Catholic
than Episcopalian; speaking of which, when I asked my mom what 
denomination I was and she told me, I thought she said we
were paleontologists...which is something completely different. 
Paleontology made me think of Ross from FRIENDS.

But I digress. My neighbors growing up were Catholic, and I was really
jealous they went to Sunday school and celebrated St. Nicholas Day (first
 Sunday in December, I think, when you leave your shoes out at night and 
get presents in them in the morning). We still celebrated Christmas and Easter,
but just didn't go to church. During sixth grade, though, I started going and 
going to Sunday School. I did a two year confirmation program and got 
confirmed, but I honestly took more out of watching the movie "Year One"
than I did in those two years, education-wise. One cool thing we did
in confirmation was service project. For one project, we went to a
different church, a Baptist church for my group. 
It was SO different from my church...we never clap, dance, say "Amen"
(unless instructed), or smile. Just kidding. Kind of. 
For me, on a much smaller scale, this new church was similar to 
Covington's experience. 
My church!


The collective behavior he observed was, to me, irrational. But, 
I'm sure to plenty of religions look at Christianity as irrational,
or at least certain parts of it. Once something is adopted as a group
norm, it is hard to remove. I was thinking about this at a concert last night, 
actually: grinding is probably the weirdest thing ever.
It's really primitive. The Cha-cha slide is weird too.
We must look like insects doing some weird group dance. 

Portugal. The Man! I thought of the how weird people look 
when they dance because I was on the upper level, and I was watching people
head bob and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment