Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Entry 9: Identity

From the identity stuff we've learned, the most interesting
aspect for me was the idea of the "I" and the "me". It's weird to think 
about, but when you said, "I think about how you see me" helped me understand
better. The idea of the self as a social structure also rang a bell with me.
If I think about it, when people tell me I have a certain personality
trait or I do something, I, sometimes automatically,
adopt it as a fact. But with certain characteristics, I would never
associate them or disassociate them with myself had it not
been for someone telling me so. People constantly enforce my personal 
identity, but sometimes people will say things to me that I brush off.
Like you said in class with the hipster example, I get that too...
just from my friends, though. I think what it is is I'm more 
hipster than they are (but by no means a hipster...the label
has honestly loss whatever meaning it had).

I wonder how hipsters enforce rules...surely not the same
as gang members.

In the gang-related gun violence article, I thought it was interesting
how aware everyone interviewed was of their actions and motivations.
No one really said their behavior was unavoidable or not 
their fault. Even though they were all pretty much on the same page, 
they had different reasoning. Also, they articulated it differently: their speech,
their level of remorse, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment