Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Entry 13: Gender- "Women, Power, and Hair"

Lady Gaga uses a resisting form of conformity
with her hairstyle to convey her power.

Thorne's study was interesting to me because I had made the connection that 
resistance to norm hairstyles was a form of showing power, but
I had never made the connection of accommodation as a form 
of taking power. I thought the girl who dyed her hair red was interesting too;
I see the vixen thing, but I mainly hear "gingers don't have souls" from
my friends when I talk about dying my hair. I also thought it was weird that 
the participant who's asian's boyfriend told her to change her hair.
Yes, I think hair can be seen as attractive, but from my experience with guys,
I've never heard of a guy really noticing hair unless it's a dramatic
change.

Personally, I rarely considered power when I style my hair; I guess
I would fall into the third category. I just kind of go through cycles
of growing my hair out, donating it, and then cutting it really short.
About a month ago, though, I was at a friend's house and I straightened my 
hair before we went out. My hair is pretty much down to my butt when 
straightened, so sometimes people will make comments about 
its length. One of my friends asked why girls did that. 
He also started asking why we get dressed up even if we know
we're just hanging out with friends. I gave a kind of smart-alec
remark, like would you rather us look like shit...but he had a pretty
good point. If I had to answer completely honestly, I think
it would be because I want to control people's perception
of me and on some level to have people, no one in particular,
to think I'm attractive...not that hair alone can do that...and
I guess me wanting people to find me attractive relates to power in ways 
I've never consciously noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment